Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Restaurant Depot

On Sunday, I went with a couple of friends to this place in Teterboro, New Jersey, called Restaurant Depot. This is one of the most amazing places I've ever seen. The last time I was in a building that interesting was a few weeks ago, when I went to a baby furniture warehouse in Piscataway. I'll return to that trip shortly. Anywho, Restaurant Depot is like a grocery/drug store, that has everything in industrial sizes. You know when you go to the store to buy sugar and the packages of Domino sugar say like "Five Pounder" on them? Well, they had the "25 Pounders" at Restaurant Depot. My favorite moment was when I found a massive egg-whisk. I decided I must have it, at least in pictorial form. Check it out on facebook.com. But they don't just have giant-sized versions of normal things, they also have all that other stuff you see in restaurants and wonder where they got them, like signs for the restroom and no-smoking signs. It really was the highest of high comedy.

Now onto my previous trip to a large, flat building in Jersey. A couple of weeks ago I went with my buddy to get baby furniture from the Munire warehouse in Piscataway. He knew I was not working, and we have been known to spread cheer around the neighborhood whilst running errands. There were several hilarious moments, including our almost right-turn onto South Randolphville Road. Our turn was actually on New England Avenue, and once we realized our almost-error, it was inevitable that we start cracking jokes about the South Randolphville Patriots, and perhaps turning down said road on the way back to "see how she rides." Anyway, the reason we went all the way to the warehouse, was that my friend's father knows a guy who knows a guy in the baby furniture business, and got him a special deal. So we're in the warehouse causing a ruckus and discussing various ways we could use 99,000 square feet of warehouse space. We concluded that we could have four football games going on simultaneously without anyone bumping into anyone else. Then we could play video games on our 1,000 inch plasma screen. One day...