Thursday, February 08, 2007

dnL

Az, I just left my friend's place, and as I was hitting the button for the lobby in his elevator I noticed something odd. Apparently the lobby button was broken so they needed to replace it, however they were out of "L"s. I kid you not, in the place of the "L" button they put an upside-down "7." Now, normally I would give the superintendent a pat on the head, a tuna-flavored treat, and some sage advice (see SB e-mail #130, "Do Over"), but in this case, I can only thank him for adding more hilarity to the situation. Once I noticed the upside-down "7" I examined it more closely, and then I realized that you could turn the button around to make it a normal "7." Obviously, anyone smart enough to read will know that to get to the 7th floor you need to hit the "7" above the "5," but still. By the way, as an aside, "yeah, but still," is the best comeback in the English language according to Bill Simmons. So, on my way out of the building, while I was contemplating this 7-L phenomenon, I was reminded of the dnL era. Remember dnL? The upside-down 7up? It came in a green bottle with a green label, and the website listed on the wrapper was www.dnL.com. I wonder if the site is still up? Lemme check. Aha! Interesting. Normally, I would say that typing in www.dnL.com redirects you to the regular www.7up.com website, but it doesn't; the address in the navigation bar never changes to www.7up.com, it just stays as www.dnL.com even though it's the exact same website. Reminiscing about old sodas brings back some memories. Like, remember Crystal Pepsi? I remember it tasting almost exactly like plain ol' Pepsi, but that might just be me. Also, for some reason I remember the commercials for Cherry Cola Slice and Apple Slice. I need to investigate these to see if they ever actually existed. I'll do it tomorrow. And yes, I mean tomorrow, Friday, it's still 11:53 pm. Let's make these last seven minutes productive. Happy last seven minutes of Nirvana Day!