Friday, October 13, 2006

Poo-holes

Since my Mets finally played a game last night, I can share some of my thoughts. So I tuned in to Mike and Mike in the morning on ESPN radio, quite possibly the best sports talk show in the entire universe. I like to think of myself as a cross between Greenberg and Golic; on the one hand I would love to talk sports, watch football, eat sumo-burgers and get fat all day, and generally be macho, but on the other I like to wear pink shirts and generally be in touch with my feminine side. Anyway, they said that Albert Pujols reportedly expressed that he was unimpressed with the Mets and that Tom Glavine did not pitch well. Granted, St. Louis did hit some balls hard and came up empty, but for Pujols, arguably the game's best hitter and all-around nice guy, to say such things seems entirely out of character. Pujols might just be the best thing Major League Baseball has going for it. In an era where every player who hits a home run is suspected of engaging in foul play, e.g. steroids, HGH, etc., Pujols is as pure as pure can get. He is the consummate athlete; he plays hard, hits monstrous home runs, gets on base every other at bat, and he is even a devout Catholic. I understand that he was frustrated with the loss, especially since his hard liner to lead off the 9th inning against Billy Wagner was snared by Carlos Delgado. But as an ambassador to the game, and a role model for millions, he needs to watch what he says, especially when referring to one of the top 10, maybe top 5 left-handed pitchers of all time and a surefire first-ballot hall of famer. He should just eat his pride and admit that Glavine pitched a helluva ballgame and come back tomorrow and let his bat do the talking.