Friday, October 20, 2006

Regularly Scheduled Programming

We don't need to discuss it. There is no need for it. At the end of the day G-d's game is just that, a game. I can now turn my attention to other, far more important things. We now return to our regularly scheduled programming, already in progress......deal with revolving doors? Do they truly revolve? Let me ask you a question. What does this island Earth do? Yes, it rotates about its axis and it revolves around the sun. So, in reality, a revolving door doesn't exactly revolve. The door rotates about its hub, from which the spokes (read: doors) extend, and the person going through the door happens to be the thing revolving. So, in truth, what we call a revolving door is really a rotating door. The door doesn't revolve, we do. However, I'm going to keep referring to it as a revolving door just so that people don't think I'm a raving lunatic. Oh, how wrong they are.One more thing. I just had a conversation with my friend about hotcakes. I told her I'd better get there quickly or else there would be no cinnamon buns left. Those things would go like hotcakes. But what the hell are hotcakes? When you enter "hotcake" into the Wikipedia search, it redirects you to the column on pancakes. This is a completely unsatisfactory answer. As our esteemed Mitchell Hedberg says: "As a comedian you have to start a show strong and end the show strong. Those are the two key elements. You can't be like pancakes, all exciting at first but at the end, you're f**king sick of 'em." Believe you me (whatever that idiotic idiom means), I never get f**king sick of cinnamon buns. Even after a whole box of those Entenmann's Super Cinnamons, which have like a whole week's worth of calories, I still want more. Lemme see if I can dig up some info on these magical morsels of moistness we call "hotcakes." So, after a very cursory inspection of fewer than four websites, here's what I came up with. Er, here's with what I came up. Er, umm, here's what I found. Hotcakes is the name of a bakery/cafe in Charlottesville, Virginia. I don't think that's what they meant, when they came up with that expression. So, Hotcakes is also the name of a small internet company from New Zealand, which helps other small businesses put up simple websites. You can see their state-of-the-art page here: http://www.hotcakes.co.nz/. Here we go, I think this it. Hotcakes is the name of band from Austin, Texas. They've been around since the '60s, and there's a one in ten chance that the expression "sell like hotcakes" was invented in that decade, ignoring, of course, the century. This is something I choose to do from time to time. So, there you have it folks. Those hotcakes might go gold, but if I get my way, and I almost always do, those cinnamon buns will go platinum.