Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Ridiculous

And no, I'm not trying to exorcise some boggarts. Hehe, get it? It's a Harry Potter joke! See how into pop-culture I am?

Wow, I need to spend the next several minutes hanging my head in shame.

Anyway, what actually was ridiculous was this morning's commute. The purpose of this post is not to tell the story of my commute, since I'm sure that most people have similar stories. By the time I get to the end of the story, you'll know why I'm telling it; it just had this one hilarious, brilliant moment. Here goes:

I got on the A train at 181st street at the usual time, around 8:25ish, and the doors were closing just as I got on. I usually try to walk as far south as I can because that's where I need to be to exit the station. Az at 175th street I get out of my current car and move to the next car. I bump into my friend and we chat a little bit, and soon the train arrives at 168th street. We waited there for about 15 minutes listening to the voice over the PA system telling us that the entire subway system is flooded from the torrential rains earlier that morning. So much for the downtown A experience, right? Anyway, my friend persuades me to go with him to the 1 train to see if we have more luck. Obviously we didn't and we ended up going back to the A train. We just missed getting back on our own train and had to wait 15 minutes for another one. Now we're riding downtown, stopping for a few minutes at each station. Finally, we get down close to 59th street, and the train stops for about 10 minutes twice just as we're closing in on the station. At this point everyone knows that it's the last stop on the train, and no one's complaining that they can't ride farther, because everyone is so hot by now that they can't wait to get off that G-d forsaken subway. Nonetheless, and this is the hilarious part, when the subway doors open, a woman sitting on one of the benches declares "getting off!" This was absolutely unbelievable, and I almost lost it. Blah blah blah, then I just walked to my office from Columbus Circle and arrived at a quarter past ten. I hope the commute back is quicker.