Friday, May 18, 2007

Slooooooww

Az I decided to wait until I was moderately competent using my Dvorak keyboard before I wrote my next post, az here I am, four days later. It's been pretty rough, but I can definitely tell that I'm making progress. I better be because I went home for dinner tonight, and when I used my mom's computer, I had trouble typing QWERTY. Various websites I've seen say that it takes around a month to become proficient, az I'm being patient. Az I'm asking y'all to be patient as well during my learning process; I should be back up to speed in a couple of weeks. They also advise that you should switch cold turkey. Another words, since I started using Dvorak I shouldn't type in QWERTY at all, if possible. Here's a coupla pros and cons I've noticed:
Pros: 1. Lots of action on the home (middle) row. You can type a ton of words using only those letters: a o e u i d h t n s.
2. The M and A keys are in the same places as they are on the QWERTY keyboard, az that assuages the learning process.
Cons: 1. The S button is where the ";" key used to be, az it's hard to go from rarely using your right pinky to using it all the time.
2. Microsoft shortcuts are harder to use, like ctrl-c and ctrl-v for "copy" and "paste."
Mmkay, we'll see how I'm doing by next post.

I was so pleased with one of my students this week. She's really not too good at math, az when she told me that a triangle with sides of length six, eight, and ten was a right triangle because six, eight, and ten form a Pythagorean triple, I was immensely gratified. A Pythagorean triple is a set of three natural numbers, which satisfies the Pythagorean Theorem: (a^2) + (b^2) = c^2. In case anyone is curious, one way to produce a Pythagorean triple is by choosing any two different natural numbers p and q, and performing these operations on them: (p^2) - (q^2), 2pq, (p^2) + (q^2). For example, for p = 5 and q = 3: (5^2) - (3^2) = 16, 2(5)(3) = 30, and (5^2) + (3^2) = 34, forming the triple 16, 30, 34, or 8, 15, 17 reduced. A few more triples are these: (3, 4, 5), (5, 12, 13), (10, 24, 25), (20, 21, 29), (9, 40, 41). Feel free to go ahead and produce some of your own.

BTW, I also learned how to solve a 5 x 5 x 5 Rubik's Cube this week. If anyone wants a demonstration, let me know. As of now it takes me about 15 minutes to solve.
Okay, that's enough typing for now. I don't want to get Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.