Monday, December 04, 2006

More Fun with Words

I'm sorry I haven't posted for a while. I've been entertaining myself at work with this fantastic website, which is right up my alley. It has 15 pages worth of interesting facts about words. The reason I'm posting about it now is that I'm up to the page where it discusses "uncommon double letters," which is directly related to my last post. Just a couple of tidbits before I go into excruciating detail on uncommon double letters. That last sentence is a fragment, but I'm going to leave it. Anyway, onto the tidbits:
-CONSERVATIONALISTS/CONVERSATIONALISTS is an example of a long transposal (words which are anagrams of each other). The longest "well-mixed" transposals (no more than three consecutive letters in common) are BASIPARACHROMATIN/MARSIPOBRANCHIATA (17 letters) and THERMONASTICALLY/HEMATOCRYSTALLIN (16 letters).
That's pretty cool. What else:
- Craig Kasper says GORAN IVANESEVIC (a top tennis player) may be the longest name of a relatively famous person that alternates consonants and vowels.
-In English, ignoring spaces, the longest palindrome in Morse code is INTRANSIGENCE (.. -. - .-. .- -. ... .. --. . -. -.-. .). If spaces are not ignored, the longest word is FOOTSTOOL (..-. --- --- - ... - --- --- .-..)
- Some common words which change from one to three syllables upon the addition of just one letter are: ARE/AREA, CAME/CAMEO, LIEN/ALIEN, RODE/RODEO, ROME/ROMEO, SMILE/SIMILE.
-
At a dam, there is a flooddoor. The controls for the flooddoor are in the flooddoorroom. Let's say the the boss at the dam calls a meeting in the flooddoorroom. The people who go to this meeting are FLOODDOORROOMMEETINGGOERS. And James Lehmann suggests: In the flooddoorroom, there is a book, which explains how to use the controls for the flooddoor, a FLOODDOORROOMBOOK, in which all four double-O's are pronounced differently.
-SYZYGY and ZYZZYVA, when written in cursive, have five letters in a row which descend below the line. SYZYGY is also the shortest word with three Y's.
-CWM (a glacial hollow on a hillside) has the rare W as a vowel, as does CRWTH (a type of stringed instrument). Both words are in MWCD10. They are pronounced "koom" and "krooth" (rhyming with room and truth).

Ok, those were pretty cool. If my coolty was ever in doubt, I believe any of those doubts have been sufficiently squushed. Oh, btw, according to urbandictionary.com, the word "coolty" has an extremely inappropriate definition. For all those interested, the definition can be found here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=coolty
Since this is a family website, I can't state the definition here. Just know that when I used the word "coolty" I really mean the word "coolness." I just use "coolty" because in Strong Bad e-mail #115, when describing what would happen when his time capsule is found, he states: "Ooh! Then I'd put some dry ice in there so when they open it up it looks all smoky and steamy and it says a-like "froosh" when they first open it. There'll be no doubt about my coolty." Anyway, back to the uncommon double letters!
I don't understand the order they use on the website, but here goes:
HH appears in words such as withhold and bathhouse, but only in such compound words.
UU appears in words such as continuum, vacuum, and perpetuum; these are all very similar.
We already mentioned the VVs last time.
WW also only appears in compound words such as arrowwood and powwow.
All the other ones are either trivial, proper names, or extremely obscure such as Yablonovvy and jghaxxaq.
There are also several triple letters, but the only one that is not obscure is SSS, like in goddessship or countessship. Okay, that's all I got for now, but if I see some more cool jazz on that website I'll let you know. Until next time, it's back to the doghouse with me. Hameivin yavin.