Thursday, April 05, 2007

Road Rage

Az today I drove back to my apartment from the East Side so that I could catch up on the shows I missed over the holiday. I ended up not watching them yet, but that's another story. Anyway, I was driving northbound on York avenue, and I got stopped at a red light behind a guy that was signaling a left turn. I figured, "okay, great. He'll turn right away when the light turns green, and I'll be able to drive ahead." But, no, he decides to wait until all the cars going in the opposite direction go before he turns. This is one of the most important unwritten rules of driving. If you're turning against traffic, you better be the first one to go when that light turns green. Keep this in mind when you're driving southbound on Broadway and you want to make a left onto 178th street.

Once that debacle was over, the drive up the FDR should have been a breeze, right? Right?! Wrong! Just as I was getting to the end of the ride, I was preparing to exit from the left lane onto Amsterdam avenue by 179th street. Sometimes the cars are backed up there, but it's never much of a problem. This time, there was one of those street pavers going up the ramp, and it was actually PAVING THE ROAD! Seriously, it's a one lane road and that machine was actually inching its way towards Amsterdam avenue. At least have the common decency to close the road so that the cars don't get stuck behind! It would cause far fewer problems if everyone were forced to go under the apartments via the Trans-Manhattan Expressway and come out on the other side. It's just not right.

On the topic of important lessons we need to impart to the ignorant, I decided that the single most useful rule to teach to children is the "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" rule. If you're unfamiliar with this rule, please ask me in person, because it might look embarrassing were anyone to post up their ignorance for all to behold. And boy, wouldn't I like to be holding your ignorance right now, especially if your ignorance is super-hot. Mmkay, anyway, this rule is uber-important, az please teach it to your children.