Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Football Thoughts

Az I went to the Jets game last Monday night against Miami, and thanks to some extended family we had incredible seats - 8th row on the 25 yard line by the Jets sideline. Now I don't go to too many football games, and I never sat anywhere but nosebleed, which is not dissimilar to watching on TV in re: the birds-eye view. Sitting that close gave me a new perspective, which I thought I'd share.

Football is chaos. On TV it looks like the quarterback can see everything we see, but there are 22 people running around a relatively small field, everyone is 6'7", and everyone can run a 4.4 40. I have no idea how anything gets done out there. I'm not sure how there aren't 20 injuries every down. I'm not sure how there aren't 20 turnovers a game. As I said. Chaos.

Announcers really help. With all that chaos going on, the players and coaches still need to keep track of what down it is, where the first down marker is, how much time is left on the play clock, how much time is left on the game clock, which personnel needs to be on the field, etc. Those of us watching on TV have the luxury of getting every bit of information from the announcers and what's shown on the screen. I never realized how easy it is to lose track of all those important pieces of information.

Stadium was stunning, by the way.

Here's one that has nothing to do with football. I only started noticing this recently, but it is becoming increasingly annoying, and I might yell at someone pretty soon. Let's say you're behind me on a crowded elevator or subway and the doors are getting ready to open and I'm in front. I don't care how much of a hurry you're in, before you say "excuse me," please wait until you see that I'm actually in your way. Hey, has it ever occurred to you that I might be getting off also? Your life would be much happier if you stopped assuming that everyone else is a jerk.

Phew! That's finally off my chest.